Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Tuesday

Today was a pleasant day.  It’s really too bad sarcasm doesn’t exist in writing.  I woke up to many a dog at like four.  And so it began.  I took a shower with cold water, and then my hair dryer broke.  GRAND.  Patricio then informed me that I would be taking the bus.  Hopes dashed.  THEN Ben wasn’t at his house.  THEN we had school.  Quetriste.  But it got better.  School lasted only until ten twenty five, after which I paid my credit card bills and we all departed on yet another city bus for about an hour to the destination of our day trip.  We ended up in the old part of Quito, and that was really cool.  The architecture is quite splendid, and there isn’t as much random trash lying around.  However, the streets are even more narrow, and therefore, crossing them is even more perilous.  But, we all survived I do believe, and we had some adventures.  Our first stop was this random museum that used to be a hospital that really didn’t look like it existed but then it did and that was cool.  And then we ate lunch, mostly because everyone was complaining.  Like me.  After food we took a tour of this church.  So.  If you’ve ever read anything at all about Quito, I’ll bet you’ve read about this building.  It’s supposedly one of the most beautiful churches in all of South America, and I definitely wouldn’t doubt that statement.  The details are incredibly, and in that building is more gold than I have ever seen in my entire life, and that includes the animated movie Eldorado.  It was actually quite amazing and I’m not ashamed to admit that a lot of staring happened.  Next, we checked out this statue that represented the Andean Countries independence from Spain.  Then, we went to the president’s house, and that was nice.  It provided a great view of the plaza, and I’m sure I would have loved it tonses had I not been ready to fall asleep standing up.  The bus ride back was quite uneventful except for the fact that we were two hours late.  People were upset.  I was one of them.  Maddie and I then bought dessert and took a cab to her house where I proceeded to mooch off of their wireless Internet like no other.  Later, I took a cab back to my house and ate dinner with my host mommy who now calls me “mi amor.”  That’s always a self-esteem boost.  Then I too another shower due to the fact that I will no longer be able to dry my hair in the morning.  YAY.  

0 comments: