Monday, January 17, 2011

Friday Part One

The day started out about as good as a day can when you wake up in the morning and realize you don’t have to go to school. I packed, ate breakfast with my family, and hitched a ride with Ben to the airport. So far so good. That’s when I realize that lessons I have learned traveling elsewhere also apply to my life now. The situation being referenced this time? A Mexican Minute has nothing on an Ecuadorian Minute. Our plane was four hours late. Just because. The flight was like twenty minutes long, and so it was just kinda ridiculous. Also, it was a tiny plane that had a lot of rocking. Not my favorite flight. But. Then we met the bus and took it to the river. It turns out the only way we can get to where we’re staying is by canoe, and the trip is about two and a half hours long. SURPRISE. It’s probably one of the most legitimate things I’ve ever done in my life, considering the river is one of the largest tributaries of the Amazon River, and there was rainforest on both sides. Upon reaching our destination, we all realize that we will actually be staying IN the rainforest. There are small wood houses all connected by raised wooden platforms. Quite fancy. And gorgeous. I’ve never seen so many flowers in my life! The only downside thus far was the crotchety old people we were sharing the resort with, and a bitchy parrot names Yolanda who found please in the screams of college students. Even dinner was fantastic, and this time, we were all prepared for the three-course meal idea. So yummy. We were then introduced to the program and given our schedules for the morning. It all went downhill from there.

0 comments: