Tuesday, January 11, 2011

More Friday

After that neat adventure, we drove for a while longer to the city of Cotecotchi. It is t this time tat I feel I must recognize and applaud our bus driver. There were several times when we almost tipped over of hit things of crashed into a truck full of pigs and I was like OH GOD THIS IS IT but we never actually hit anything. I say this now specifically because the indigenous communities were in the mountains with unpaved roads and an absurd amount of cattle just chilin where we wanted to drive. Plus, the roads were one lane. That’s got to be tricky with a huge bus and oncoming traffic. At night. Just saying. Go Rodrigo! Anyway, it was like seven at night and I met my indigenous host family. They are super nice and have six kids, all of whom were absolutely adorable. The food was great except that I didn’t realize that it’s part of the culture to eat soup as an appetizer so here are Katie, Allison, and I encouraging one another to eat it all, like you can do it! All the while the mom keeps refilling our bowls. Finally, we all have finished, and she brings out the main course. We didn’t make that mistake again. Also, while I’ve been here, I’ve eaten so many fruits that I didn’t even know existed. It’s the weirdest thing. I miss pineapple. So then we spoke with them for a bit about agriculture and what they can grow at what altitude. Then, we all went to bed at the extremely late hour of 8:30. Please don’t judge me.

0 comments: