Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Monday

We went to Chota, which is a community of Afro-Ecuadorian people. We visited the school and they had a show all ready for us with dancers and what not and then they came and chose a few of us and we had to go dance with them and it was really interesting… but the best part is this: they wanted to play soccer against us. The thing you have to understand about Chota is this: the entire Ecuadorian World Cup team comes from this village. So, picture a team of three-foot kindergarteners against a team of six foot St. Olaf varsity and intermural soccer players. We got destroyed. It was embarrassing. But, it was a really interesting place to visit, and probably my favorite of the side trips thus far. Plus, I think I’d like to come back sometime and help with their English program. That would be really neat. So, we continued on our way back to Quito where we were picked up and at dinner tonight I had like an hour long conversation with my host mom about organ donations, overly processed food, and obesity (her daughter is on a diet) and how she has A+. And, I am happy to report that Patricio is giving me a ride to school tomorrow, which means that I will avoid the bus system yet again. Shelby 3, Public Transportation 0.


0 comments: