Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Day We Accidentally Used Evidence for Personal Use

I take back what I said yesterday about no day being good conditions for archaeology.  Today was perfect.  It was abut 70 degrees and sunny, but we were in the trees.  There were light showers that never really touched us, as well.  Furthermore, my team was pretty much done with all of the digging and had our skeleton almost entirely exposed.  So, today, I got to spend my time sitting on an overturned bucket and supervising the people who were making measurements of the placements of all the bones so that I could later map the exact location of them.  It was technical and sometimes frustrating, but it definitely wasn’t hard labor, and I didn’t even get dirty.


The day started out pretty well, too.  It’s Tuesday, which means it was muffin day.  Last Friday the muffin wars had gotten pretty intense, as the muffin monitor and her student accomplice had been posted full time.  We also overheard an important conversation between the two of them that they may be moving the muffin station to a different hallway because they were sick of us mooching.  I , personally, fins this a little hypocritical since I’ve clearly seen the muffin monitor eating cereal from the display, which isn’t even at all subtle.  This, of course, was terrible news.  So we were all pretty overjoyed today when the muffin station was still there and there was nobody watching them.  Clearly, we all took muffins.  But then, she came back.  The look on her face when she saw us, even though no one was still eating, was ridiculous.  I’ve never seen anyone look like the cartoon portrayal of anger before, but she sure did.  Also, she counted the muffins.  And then she got angrier.  But then we left for the field, so it was cool. 

Realizing I wasn’t in the front of the crowd and therefore not in the prime position to call shotgun on the way out of the building, I started booking it to the front.  Jackie saw me doing this and that traitor yelled to Oliver to call it, which he did.  It all worked out for me, though, when he realized that the front set of the van is actually pretty small.  And when I say pretty small, I mean like almost not a real seat.   It works for me since I’m 5’2” and have the shortest legs evolution could create, but Oliver is like straight up 6’ and has the legs of a giraffe.  So he was unhappy.  To make things even better, I then called shotgun in Heidi’s car, which is a comfy little sedan with air conditioning and awesomeness.  And, because my life is so great, it turned out to be a day that Heidi had to drive all the way up to the site instead of having to park a quarter mile away with the van.  I don’t think Oliver will be calling shotgun any time soon. 

My team started taking the bones out today, which was kind of neat.  It lead to a lot of evidence being collected and a lot of writing that had to be done.  We also decided, finally, to sift all the leaf litter on the surface, which we honestly should have done the very first day.  We ended up finding this purple ponytail holder.  Jackie asked anyone if it was his or hers, and Natalie said it was.  I looked at Natalie’s hair, and sure enough, she had a purple one in.  Later that day, after the case of the purple ponytail holder had been put to rest, Heidi slyly asked us if we’d found anything purple.  We of course said yes, but then we said it was Natalie’s.  After a side powwow with whispers between her and Nick, Heidi told us it was actually evidence.  Ha.  It was actually kind of cool though because it still had hair attached to it.  So.  DNA and all that. 

Heidi’s husband came to lunch to take about resumes and letters of recommendation for grad school, which was really helpful.  We all had infinite questions.   Also, I accurately guessed Heidi’s age, even though nobody knew what it was.  I told her I knew and she asked me how so I explained that se told me she’s been married for eleven years.  So since 2001.  She also, at one point, told me she’d been dating her husband for five years before that.  That’s 1996.  She said at the beginning of class she met her husband and broke up with her old boyfriend both in sophomore year of college.  It that was 1996, that makes her 37 now.  I was right, and she was concerned that she’d told me more than she intended to. 

The rest of the day was spend eating boneless wings and watching season two of Pretty Little Liars.  I also started Boy Meets World.  Good choices have been made. Plus, Linkin Park's new album came out yesterday, so music is being listened to.

0 comments: