Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Ground Truthing

"What I know is this: when one hungers for light it is only because one’s knowledge of the dark is so deep."

-Terry Tempest Williams

Besides thinking that this is just a wonderfully beautiful statement, I can't help but connect it to freedom, with our whole theme in AmCon and such.  I feel like, especially in countries where freedom is a rare concept, that it is almost appreciated more because those who have suffered without it recognize the gift it truly is.  I know that it may be a tad unpatriotic, but I believe quite a few Americans take freedom for granted.  With the recent talk of the Tea Party for example, they are all upset because they think the government is limiting our freedom.  And that may be the case, however, I don't think they really understand what's it's like to be without freedom.  They think they know what they're fighting for, but those rights, although incredibly important, are nothing compared to the people in other parts of the world who have almost no rights at all, the one's who have experienced "the dark," if you will.  One can not fully appreciate something they've always had.

0 comments: