Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Slavery

As I started on the reading for today, I was really upset.  Slavery has always been a topic that I really don't like to adress; I know that it happened, I know that it was awful, and I really don't need to revisit the cruelty of the human race ever again.  I was not wrong.  reading again the condition in which the Africans suffered, I wondered how one human being could do such a thing to another.  What would prompt someone, upon seeing someone who looks different than them, to think, "oh hey.  I'll make them a slave and treat them like they aren't a living creature."  HOW COULD SOMEONE DO THAT? Why would they ever think that was okay?  I don't understand.  Zinn started talking about how racism evolved and how it had to do with circumstances.  YThis would mean it evolved because of slavery.  Not before.  So why did slavery start?  i know that money was a big deal, but was it really so important that human decency and morals were sacrificed?  People disgust me.

0 comments: