Friday, October 29, 2010

Mr. Franklin

It's true that Benjamin Franklin used to my very favorite of all historical figures: he invented the public library for god's sake.  How can someone not be awesome after that?  Therefore, it came as a surprise to me upon reading his autobiography/actually memoir, that he was actually quite arrogant.  Painfully so, in fact.  I do believe my least favorite quality that someone can posses is arrogance.  He almost seemed to think it a girt to the readers that they got the pleasure of experiencing his vanity.  Needless to say, I was incredibly upset for the remainder of the book.  I'm not going to lie, it kinda ruined the view I had of him as this infallible wondrous awesomely fantastic person who did all these really cool things while still being a human.  And the rose colored glasses died.  I realized he was an arrogant prick who was MUCH too interested in the weather.  I didn't really want to read about that.  At all.  And I understand that he may not have edited the writing, and those parts may have out, but still.  It was near the end of the book that I realized something else that made me feel a bit better: I feel like if I'd invented the fire station, I'd be arrogant too.  Therefore, I forgive you, Sir Benjamin Franklin, for having an awful personality because, as you said in your book, you deserve to be vain.  Never fear, my favorite stuffed animal will continue to bear your name.

0 comments: